The end of this year is approaching, and I wanted to take a moment to reach out to all of you!
Whether you are my colleague, friend, acquaintance, or client, I think most of us can agree that 2022 has been a difficult and challenging year. From material shortages and freight challenges to material defects frustrations and staff shortages. It’s been a YEAR.
The important part is that we made it! I wanted to share some ideas that help me get ahead of the game as we enter a new year. These help me even on the busiest most challenging days, while still keeping my sanity and helping others. And, as I write these out, I can almost hear the tune of the song, “On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love sent to me…”
- Always do something daily to push your business or workload forward, it doesn’t matter how small it is. One phone call, one email, one follow up. If you adopt this, you will always be moving forward. Imagine 365 times you do something small to move forward… where would you be?
- Make a list! The ones who know me well, know that my phone calls are always accompanied by a Notepad. I divide them in 4 columns (Must, Should, Need & Could).
- As a Christian, I always start the day with prayer. It sets the mood for the day. I also respect the day of rest. God will multiply your efforts if you give Him one day. I challenge anyone who is comfortable to try this, and believe me when I tell you…it works!
- Always do everything humanly possible, then cast it away and let it roll. I know one thing, I can plan my whole day, but it is God who establishes my steps. If something is not working out or happening in your time, then don’t push it. I have tested this many times and His ways and times are always perfect.
- Have a support circle. Yes, like the song: “I got a friend in you, you got a friend in me…” Many of you are a part of my circle, you know who you are. Having that person in your industry that understands what you are going through makes hard days bearable. We are stronger together.
- Do good, pay it forward, give and you will receive, reap and sow! If you can do something good for someone, even if it is your industry competition, just do it. A lot of you are my competitors, and I am committed to going above and beyond for all of you, because as an industry we are one body.
- Work smarter, not harder! Have systems in place. If there is a task that you repeat constantly, do templates, or create forms. Use post-its, reminders or (even change your rings to the wrong finger like I do LOL!). I know it sounds crazy, but I do it.
- Bring Lunch to work to avoid the lunch hour fight on the road.
- D E L E G A T E… Say no more.
- Work in a clean and organized environment. I even run essential oils in the office. I create a peaceful mood before I start working. Happy Kitchen Designer=Happy Design. I taught myself to smile, even when I might not feel like it. We don’t know whose day we can improve. (Even if you wave to a total stranger thinking is your colleague like I did today. But guess what? They waved back with a big smile! So, they made my day as well, since later I couldn’t stop laughing)!)
- Tackle problems and challenges ASAP. Seriously, do not let them linger around for days. They are like snowballs; they get bigger and bigger if you let them roll.
- Finally, the most important point, and in this same order they go: God, Family, and work.
There you have them, my 12 yearly points to decompress and have the most peaceful business life possible. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from us at Divine Design and me and my family to yours!